Home > News > France: Fiftieth Anniversary of the Chapel of Rosey



Wherever you go

Rule of Life of the Marist Brothers


 



NewsChoose

  • News
  • 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004
  • Most popular | Statistics
  • Calendar
  • The latest news

 


Social networking

Marist Brothers

RSS YouTube FaceBook Twitter

 

 


Calls of the XXII General Chapter



FMSI


Archive of updates

 

Marist Calendar

4 December

Saint John Damascene and John Calabria
1889, opening of the first Marist school in Colombia

Marist Calendar - December

Memory of the beatification of Marcellin

 

Archive

Fiftieth Anniversary of the Chapel of Rosey

28/05/2008: France - Photo gallery

Rosey is the place of birth of Marcellin Champagnat, a small village that belongs to the Municipality of Marlhes. In 1958, three years after the beatification of Marcellin, a small chapel was built close to his house, paid for by donations from the entire Marist world. This year is the fiftieth anniversary of the creation of this monument-chapel dedicated to Marcellin.

Brothers, professors, pupils, alumni and devotees of Champagnat have come to the chapel of Rosey on pilgrimage for the last fifty years. Thanks to the welcoming services and facilities it is possible to spend a beautiful day at the village of Marcellin’s birth, to learn more about the places where he was born and where he spent his childhood, to see his room as a student, the place where he taught catechism to the villagers, etc. There is also the chance to celebrate the Eucharist and hold meetings in groups in the large halls available in the building.

A few elderly people still remember that after the beatification of the Founder, the Provincial brothers who attended the ceremonies in Rome took part in a retreat of the General Administration at the Mother House. Immediately after the retreat a pilgrimage was organised for the superiors so they could visit the historical places where the Institute was born and made its first steps: Marlhes, La Valla, the Hermitage, and Fourvière.

At Marlhes the pilgrims could admire the Champagnat School, which is attended by all the primary school children of the area. They could also admire the grand and beautiful parish church, with the improvements introduced for the beatification of Marcellin. But they were a little disappointed with Rosey. Apart from a small plaque placed above the door at the entrance of the house there was nothing to remind them that this is one of the historical landmarks of the Institute. The fact is that all the efforts made in different ages to try and purchase the house were unsuccessful. It was only possible to purchase Champagnat’s room, the lower part where he used to teach catechism to the children of the village, and a part of the land close to the house.

The Provincial brothers returned to their Provinces extremely motivated and they contributed significantly to the admiration and love for the Marist locations. Shortly afterwards the decision was taken to build a chapel at Rosey and the entire Institute was glad to hear the news.

The project was prepared by Mr. Moreau, the Architect of Saint Chamond, who had already designed the plan for the chapel of the Hermitage where the remains of Marcellin lie. The architecture of the chapel of Rosey was conceived in a style similar to that of the mountain churches nearby and in tune with the surrounding landscape and the houses. The walls were built in the gray granite that is plentiful in the region and the facade was decorated with a statue of St. Marcellin.

The Community of the brothers of Rosey carefully prepared a simple programme for this anniversary celebration, which will end on Sunday, 1st June with a Mass and several activities.

4325 visits