Home > News > Sri Lanka: Marist presence in Sri Lanka



Wherever you go

Rule of Life of the Marist Brothers


 



NewsChoose

  • News
  • 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004
  • Most popular | Statistics
  • Calendar
  • The latest news

 


Social networking

Marist Brothers

RSS YouTube FaceBook Twitter

 

 


Calls of the XXII General Chapter



FMSI


Archive of updates

 

Marist Calendar

27 October

Saint Abraham the Poor

Marist Calendar - October

Celebrating 100 years of dedicated service

 

Archive

Marist presence in Sri Lanka

03/03/2011: Sri Lanka

The Marist Brothers will soon complete 100 years of their dedicated service to the Catholic Church in Sri Lanka. The pioneer Brothers of the Marist Congregation reached Sri Lanka in 1911 at the request of the Jesuit Fathers. These European Brothers first served at St. Michael’s College in Baticaloa. They were to leave Sri Lanka in 1917 as their contract was over. However, the then Archbishop of Colombo requested that the Brothers assume responsibility for St. Mary’s College, Negombo in 1917. Thus they settled in Negombo and spread throughout the land, including to the places where they are today. On the 2nd of January 2011 all the Marist Bothers in Sri Lanka, their past students and well wishers gathered round the Altar at Maris Stella College Chapel, Negombo to inaugurate this Jubilee year. Its theme is, “LIFE GIVING WATER.” Rev. Rasaih Jayaraj, SJ was the main celebrant and at the Entrance Rite Brother Shanthi Liyenage greeted all in attendance and gave an overview of the pilgrimage of the Marist Brothers to this point in their history.

After Communion the Jubilee proclamation message was brought to the altar by the eldest and the youngest Brother to the tune of “Magul Bera and Traditional Dance.” It was solemnly proclaimed by Brother Shanthi and all the brothers and the participants praised and thanked God for the glorious things He has done for the Marist Brothers throughout the past 99 years.

The celebration ended with a Fellowship lunch at the Marcellin Nivasa.

________________

Marist News Letter, Volume 3

4725 visits