Home > News > Australia: Walkathon in Cairns



Wherever you go

Rule of Life of the Marist Brothers


 



NewsChoose

  • News
  • 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004
  • Most popular | Statistics
  • Calendar
  • The latest news

 


Social networking

Marist Brothers

RSS YouTube FaceBook Twitter

 

 


Calls of the XXII General Chapter



FMSI


Archive of updates

 

Marist Calendar

28 November

Saint James of the Marches

Marist Calendar - November

MARIST STUDENTS BENEFIT SCHOOL WITH A 20 KILOMETRE WALK

 

Archive

Walkathon in Cairns

06/06/2004: Australia

525 boys from St. Augustine’s college walked 20 kilometres through the city of Cairns, a tropical paradise in northeastern Australia that basks in the magical hues of the Coral Sea. The “Walkathon” was held to raise funds for school projects. Family members, friends and businesses pledged money to each participant for each kilometer walked… up to a maximum of 20 kilometres. Six stations along the route helped insure the smooth flow of traffic. The event raised 12,000 Australian Dollars, which will be used entirely for school improvements. State financing accounts for 70% of the school’s budget, with the remaining 30% being funded by the parents. However the students want to do even more to benefit their education. The brothers and lay teachers gave solid support to their initiative, making the required arrangements for the “Walkathon”, which took place on May 20th, the anniversary of St. Marcellin’s birth.
During Lent, the students devoted four weeks to various fund raising activities for social programs outside Australia.
The education centre also has 180 boarding students, in this case, co-ed. The girls attend classes at Saint Monica College.

3469 visits