Home > News > Australia: Brothers’ school alongside St Josephs Church, Subiaco



Wherever you go

Rule of Life of the Marist Brothers


 



NewsChoose

  • News
  • 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004
  • Most popular | Statistics
  • Calendar
  • The latest news

 


Social networking

Marist Brothers

RSS YouTube FaceBook Twitter

 

 


Calls of the XXII General Chapter



FMSI


Archive of updates

 

Marist Calendar

26 November

Saint Conrad
1947: Birth of Brother Seán Sammon, 12th Superior General

Marist Calendar - November

Remembering 1954

 

Archive

Brothers’ school alongside St Josephs Church, Subiaco

11/03/2014: Australia

On Wednesday, 26 February, a group of some 70 former Marist students and spouses gathered in St Joseph’s Church, Subiaco, to commemorate the Blessing and Opening of the Brothers’ school alongside the Church in 1954. Mass was celebrated by old boy priests. 

The founding Director of St Joseph’s was Br Lucian Gerber and Br Victor Chalmers and Br Ernest (Terence) Gleeson made up the community. In the ten years from its foundation, the school grew rapidly from 120 students to 572 on 1.5 acres of land. By that time, the Director, Br Gordon Heinrich, realised that the site had reached its capacity. Fortuitously, a 20 acre site had been purchased by the Brothers in Churchlands in 1962, under the Provincialship of Br Donald Grogan, and a second campus was built to cater for the secondary students who moved there in 1965 under the name of Marist College. Eventually, the Subiaco site was sold to the Government of the day to become the WA School of Printing and a new primary school was built on a further 12 acres of land granted by the State Government adjacent to the Churchlands campus. The then Director, Br Justin Guthrie, worked with the architect to create a state-of-the-art primary school which opened at the start of 1977. 

class=imgshadow

3685 visits