Home > News > Syria: The Centenary of the Marist Brothers in Aleppo



Wherever you go

Rule of Life of the Marist Brothers


 



NewsChoose

  • News
  • 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004
  • Most popular | Statistics
  • Calendar
  • The latest news

 


Social networking

Marist Brothers

RSS YouTube FaceBook Twitter

 

 


Calls of the XXII General Chapter



FMSI


Archive of updates

 

Marist Calendar

28 November

Saint James of the Marches

Marist Calendar - November

CONTINUING TO BE SOWERS OF HOPE

 

Archive

The Centenary of the Marist Brothers in Aleppo

25/08/2004: Syria

In August 1904, four Marist Brothers arrived in Aleppo to run the school for Armenian Catholics in Telal Street. Later, they worked with the Greek Catholics by running the school of Saint Nicholas and with the Jesuits in their school in the old city. In 1932, they built their own school, Champagnat College, in Fayçal Street (currently called Georges Salem School). In 1948 they moved to the section of the city called Mohafzat. Since 1967, when the college was nationalised, they have worked with the Amal School. Their presence has been in the areas of the scouts, catechesis, the accompaniment of young people and in solidarity with the poor. In August 2004, the centenary of the presence of the Marist Brothers in Aleppo is being celebrated.
The logo of these celebrations was inspired by that of the canonisation. In the background, there are the houses of Aleppo with their doors open to welcome the brothers. The different colours remind us of the cultural diversity of the city. The two arms symbolise the arrival of the brothers, but above all their integration into the culture of the people. With hearts that know no bounds, the Marist Brothers are working through different means of education to sow the seeds of Hope.

3629 visits